Butternut Chicken Pot Pie with Sage Biscuits
Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Marina Gunn
1 tbsp. olive oil
4-5 chicken thighs
1 head of celery
8 medium carrots
1 yellow onion
16 oz. butternut squash soup*
1 tsp. salt
1 cup arugula
For the biscuits:
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt or pink salt
14 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1/4 cup whole milk
3/4 oz. chopped sage (1 clamshell at grocery)
1 large egg
• Turn to medium heat and add olive oil to cover the bottom of a large pot. Add chicken thighs and sauté for 5 minutes, flip and continue for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot, shred with a fork and set aside.
• Using the same pot on medium-low heat, add chopped celery, carrots and yellow onion. Add more olive oil and salt if needed, stir occasionally. Cook until the onions are slightly transparent (7-8 minutes).
• Add the shredded chicken to the sautéed vegetables, stir and add in the butternut squash soup. Cover, simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add and mix in arugula before removing from heat.
While the soup mixture is simmering, make the sage biscuits (adapted from Molly Yeh’s recipe).
• Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the butter using a pastry cutter or your hands, incorporating the butter until the mixture is the consistency of oatmeal and the butter is the size of peas.
• Mix in the milk and chopped sage until the mixture comes together to form a dough. I usually use my hands at this point to make sure it's combined.
• On a floured surface, pat the dough to 3/4” thick and then cut out round biscuits, re-rolling scraps as needed.
• Add the biscuits to top of butternut chicken and vegetables if using an oven-safe pot. If not, transfer chicken and vegetable mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish or pan and then top with biscuits.
• Brush the biscuits with the beaten egg and top with salt. Bake on 425°F until the biscuits are golden brown, 25- 30 minutes. Enjoy!